Sunday 2 March 2014

The Hair Chronicle #1- My Current Hair Care Routine



Aloha! 

So it wasn’t until recently that I realised I hardly ever write about hair, which is surprising considering I do take great pride in caring for my hair and have acquired a fair amount of knowledge over the past 6 years or so- prior to that I wasn’t very ‘hair savvy’ (or make-up savvy for that matter). In essence I have fine, v.long, naturally light ginger hair that lacks volume but never the less is in good condition, despite its length and how fine it is. So I thought I’d share with you my current hair care routine and products that I find work for my hair type.

So without beating around the bush I probably wash my hair 3-4 times a week, depending on what I’m doing but the aim is to see how long I can go without washing it! Sounds gross? Oh no! Over washing can be really drying on our locks and can give a dull appearance. If you find your hair gets greasy really easy then try out some dry shampoo. I use Batiste Tropical Dry Shampoo because it absorbs all the oil without drying out my hair, adds volume (brownie points for that one) and is an instant life saver when I’ve over slept and realise I have 20 minutes to get out the door! (Plus it’s super cheap in Savers) There are other brands but this seems to work the best for me as it doesn’t leave a white residue like some of the other brands do and it smells like I’m on holiday.

 When it comes to shampoo I chop and change between a selected few brands I trust, just to avoid product build up, I used to use the John Freida Root Awakening Range but haven’t been able to get hold of it in a while so typically, I now go for Aussie or TRESemme. Aussie is probably my fav brand at the moment, and not just because it smells divine but also because I genuinely feel that it does hydrate my hair and consequently it’s softer and stronger, unlike other brands that are all talk and silicone. So when it comes to washing my hair I actually shampoo my roots twice with Aussie Miracle Moist Shampoo. The first wash is to cleanse my hair of any products like dry shampoo or hairspray and the second is to really cleanse my scalp. I like to massage my scalp quite well to stimulate the blood circulation thus promoting hair growth. I don’t directly shampoo the ends of my hair because they don’t need it, plus when I rinse the shampoo runs down and cleans the ends anyway.

Next it’s time to condition, just before hand I gently squeeze any excess water out of my hair so I don’t dilute the conditioner.  Aussie Miracle Moist Conditioner is my chosen product and I’m generous with it, concentrating it on the ends is best as these are the oldest and dryest hairs that need a little more TLC. I try to leave it on as long as possible so there is time for it to be absorbed and yes I do put a tiny amount on the roots, to help with shine, but also to prevent dryness as it grows. I don't see the point in waiting for your hair to grow and become dry before you condition it? I understand that some people find it can make their hair greasy but personally that only happens to me if I use the wrong products. Or maybe the problem isn’t the products you’re using but maybe the over washing, the excess oil production is happening because your scalp is trying to replace all the natural essential oils that you keep rinsing away. Ladies if your hair has the tendency to get greasy fast then next time you have a weekend at home, shove it in a bun and resist the urge to wash! Trust me your hair will thank you for it.

Admittedly, I probably have an unnecessary attachment to my hair, which I know is ridiculous, but hey there could be worst things to be attached to and on the upside it means that I actually love to pamper it with luscious moisturising treatments. 2-3 times a week I either use Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Reconstructor (nuff said) or Inecto Pure Coconut Oil Repair Treatment. If I am just chilling around the house, in the evening, or if I'm not going anywhere then I will apply these to dry hair and leave it on for as long as I can (sometimes hours or overnight) before I rinse it. The reason I apply it to dry hair is because a hair stylist told me that the hair can absorb it better. I'm not sure if this is a 'fact' or not but I definitely noticed a difference and also it's more convenient because I can go about my daily chores i.e the laundry and don't have to be uncomfortable with wet hair. With my hair type, it’s prone to drying out so using these deep conditioning treatments are an essential part of my hair care routine.

So after I’ve washed my hair I actually keep my hair wrapped up in a towel whilst I do my make-up. That way by the time I'm finished my hair is about 50% dry and the towel also keeps it out of my face. After that I apply Aussie Miracle Hair Insurance from the middle to the ends because it is the only product I have found (and I’ve tried a lot!) that detangles my hair without weighing it down or leaving a residue. I then use a wide-tooth comb to gently de-tangle the ends and work my way up, in doing so, avoiding combing damage. I then part my hair and begin to dry it with a normal hair dryer, on a low-medium heat. I also ensure that when I’m drying the nozzle is pointing downwards, in the direction of my natural hair growth, this helps to smooth the cuticles and leaves a soft and shiny finish. When it's about 80% dry I comb it through again, using a normal brush this time, and add a small amount of LO'real Elvive Extraordinary Oil to my ends. This stuff is quite pricey but it lasts forever as you only need a tiny amount and it really helps with the shine factor. Lastly, I complete my blow dry, shake it out, and add a light spritz of my trusty LO'real Paris Elnett Satin Hairspray (Diamond Hold) just to add a little texture and volume.

Typically on a day to day I don’t ‘style’ my hair. I don’t straighten it as it’s naturally straight. The only time I use heated tools is if I’m going out for drinks or for a special occasion so probably only 1-2 times a week and when I do I use TRESemme Heat Defence Styling Spray (apologies for missing this out in the photo) this lightweight formula protects my hair from heat and doesn't interfere with my other leave-in products. I also haven’t dyed my hair and I think all these factors really help with preventing my hair from damage and dryness. Don’t get me wrong I have friends that have been bleaching their hair for years and considering this it’s still in amazing condition but my hair just can’t handle it so this hair care routine is essential for me; knowing your hair type and knowing your hairs resilience plays an important part in caring for it. Remember what might work for someone else might have a different effect on your so 'get to know' your hair and it will thank you for it.

What's your current hair care routine? 

Neeks x

No comments:

Post a Comment